A seven months old baby boy has frozen to death after being left to sleep outside a balcony in eastern Russia on Sunday January 8, 2020.
According to reports, the baby died from hypothermia after being exposed to temperatures of -20C for about 5 hours in the far-eastern Khabarovsk region after the child’s parents put him outside to ‘sleep in the fresh air’.
It was gathered that the 40-year-old mum from Nikolaevsk-on-Amur, put her baby out on the balcony, and was expecting to pick him up within a few minutes. But she however forgot about her son and only remembered where he was 5 hours later.
When she went to pick up her son and take him inside, she found out that her baby was not showing any ‘signs of life’ and was unable to be revived.
It was learnt that the child’s cause of death was hypothermia, which happens when a body’s core temperature is lowered due to exposure to cold.
Reacting to the death, the region’s health ministry took to Instagram to advised people not to leave young kids outside unattended.
”Always know where and with whom [your child] is,’ the ministry said. ‘Do not pass by if another child is in danger – in winter a child who is lost or injured on the street can very quickly become a victim of low temperatures,’ it added.