Generator fume kills two FUTO students (Photos)

Generator fume has reportedly killed 2 students of the Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) while a third person is unconscious at the hospital.

According to reports, the students identified as Anele Stephen, Fred Eberechukwu, 22 and Udeagbala Kenechukwu, put on the generator in their locked room and fell asleep.

The incident occurred in their Jabulani Hostel, Eziobodo, Owerri West Council Area of Imo State on Thursday, March 4, 2021.

The State police command spokesperson, SP Orlando Ikeokwu, who confirmed the sad incident in a statement on Saturday March 6, said their bodies were found lying helplessly in a room after the incident was reported to the Divisional Police Headquarters Nekede/Ihiagwa.

“On March 4, at about 6 pm, upon a report received at the Divisional Police Headquarters, operatives of the Division moved to Jabulani Hostel, Eziobodo, and met the three (3) occupants of one of the rooms, identified as Nkama Fred Eberechukwu “M” 22YRS, Udeagbala Kenechukwu”M” 21 and Anele Stephen “M” 21, all lying helplessly in the room,”

The operatives broke into the room and immediately evacuated them to the Federal Medical Centre, (FMC) Owerri where 2 of the victims were certified dead by the doctors on duty.

According to Ikeokwu, one of the victims Nkama Fred Eberechukwu was successfully revived, and currently receiving treatment at the hospital.

He said preliminary investigation disclosed that the victims might have suffocated as a result of the fume (carbon monoxide) which emanated from their power generating set, which they inhaled while sleeping, as the power generator was seen directly by the window in an enclosed space, and the fume discharging pipe pointing directly towards the window.

However, he said the Commissioner of Police, Imo State, CP Nasiru Mohammed has ordered an investigation into the matter. 

Post Your Comment:

Your email address will not be published.