The Iranian government has publicly revealed that they have identified at least thirty-five United States targets for retaliatory strikes after the Iranian president, Hasan Rouhani vowed to avenge the death of its most powerful Revolutionary Guards commander, Qasem Soleimani, who was killed in a U.S. airstrike ordered by President Donald Trump.
The threat was confirmed by the commander of the Guards in the southern province of Kerman, General Gholamali Abuhamzeh.
The targets include, the Strait of Hormuz, ships in the Persian Gulf and Tel Aviv. Abuhamzeh also revealed that vital American targets in the region had been identified a ‘long time ago’.
‘The Strait of Hormuz is a vital point for the West and a large number of American destroyers and warships cross there … some 35 U.S. targets in the region, as well as Tel Aviv, are within our reach,’ he said, according to Reuters.
A senior congressional staffer told Time that a retaliation attack from Iran could be seen ‘within weeks’ either at home or abroad.
The staffer said:
‘There is no indication that there is going to be a de-escalation in the near future. The only question is how bad is the retaliation going to be and where and what is it going to hit.’
Abuhamzeh’s comments that Iran has previously identified targets, seem to confirm the State Department’s reason behind the airstrike on Friday, January 3th, which killed Suleimani, his deputy Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis alongside others.
The State Department said:
‘General Soleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region.’
‘The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and our interests wherever they are around the world.’